Home Blog Page 252

Gov Zulum Approves 500 Houses In Logumani

0

The Governor of Borno State, Babagana Umara Zulum has yesterday visited Logumani, a community in Ngala Local Government Area where he approved the construction of 500 resettlement houses to accommodate returnees according to Maidawaarewa.

Residents of Logumani were among the people who were displaced as a result of the activities of Boko Haram insurgents for over seven years.

Zulum said he will support the residents of Logumani to enable them rebuild their homes, destroyed by insurgents, he also ordered the State Rural Water Supply Agency (RUWASA) to construct borehole that will address water needs of returning IDPs.

During the visit, Zulum spoke with residents of Logumani, who are taking refuge in Dikwa town and discussed on ways of returning them back to their ancestral homes, the governor did same in Kirawa town in Gwoza Local Government Area where he supervised the resettlement of over 2,500 households.

Maidawaarewa reports that the governors visits mainly focused on building, supervising or allocating newly built resettlement houses, distributing cash and food aid, supplying agricultural packs to farmers, and meeting with military commanders to review security situations and deploy strengthening measures where necessary.

Those who went on the trip together with the governor were the member representing Ngala at the state assembly, Mustapha Dalatu, and that of Dikwa, Zakariya Dikwa, Former Commissioner of Agriculture and APC’s candidate for a house representatives seat, Engr. Bukar Talba and heads of relevant establishments of government involved with construction and reconstruction, provision of water, livelihoods and general human empowerment.

ISWAP Behind Ondo Catholic Church Attack, Says FG

0

The Federal Government has linked the fighters of the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) to the attack on a Catholic church in Owo, Ondo State.

The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, disclosed this Thursday while briefing State House reporters after a meeting of the National Security Council presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.

He said the government had been able to locate the perpetrators of the Owo attack and zeroed in on ISWAP terrorist group.

The minister, who briefed alongside Inspector-General of Police, Alkali Baba Usman, said security agencies had been directed to go after the perpetrators of the act and bring them to justice.

The minister said the group was out to pitch Nigerians against one another and make it appear as ethno-religious war.

He said there was no ethnic agenda in the attack, urging Nigerians to unite and defeat the terrorists.

Scores of worshippers were killed while others injured during Sunday’s attack on St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo.

Muslim-Muslim Ticket Will Breed Religious Crisis, HURIWA Warns APC

0

Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria, HURIWA, has warned the All Progressives Congress, APC, against contemplating what it describes as a national suicide of selecting a Muslim as Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s running mate.

The group warned that such moves would throw Nigeria into a religious crisis in the event that APC wins the 2023 election.

HURIWA said the election of a southerner as APC’s presidential candidate has restored National unity in Nigeria.

HURIWA urged the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC to ensure the 2023 presidential election is free and fair to all, warning that anything short of level playing ground for all the candidates could lead to a civil war in the 2023 election.

According to HURIWA Nigerians will not be forced to accept the same kind of election robbery that allegedly took place in 2015 and 2019.

National leader of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Ahmed Tinubu defeated a former Governor of Rivers State, Chibuike Amaechi, to emerge the presidential candidate of the APC for the 2023 general elections.

HURIWA had earlier warned the APC, against picking a Northerner as its presidential candidate following the emergence of Atiku Abubakar as the flagbearer of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

HURIWA said it is now incumbent on all Nigerians to ensure that the President of Nigeria returns to the South and preferably to the South East.

Bandits Kidnap Over 80 Villagers In Katsina

0

Over 80 people were kidnapped by bandits who invaded Kwari village in Jibiya Local Government Area of Kastina, the villagers also said that their food barns and local shops were set on fire.

The over 2000 villagers who were now taking refuge at a primary school in Jibiya town, said among those that were whisked away to the forest by the bandits were children, women including pregnant ones and others.

They alleged that the authorities have not come to their aid with any assurance, as one of the IDPs said they were forcefully chased out of the village by the rampaging gunmen .

According to the woman, ‘‘ they came with full force at about 5:30 PM and attacked us, we were not aware of their coming so they opened fire, shot sporadically and burnt down shops and our food barns .”

“ They kidnapped people, men and women, little children who cannot even talk, they took about 80 people to the forest, they are these Bush Fulani people, they also took pregnant women away,” she alleged .

She said they had to run away from Kwari village and moved to the Central Primary school in Jibiya town.

‘‘ When the bandits left, we counted ourselves and found out that those taken away were up to 80, nearly 5 to 10 people were taken in some house, even small children “.

She added that they have not received any assistance from the Local Government, State Government or from the security agencies.

‘‘ Truly, we are in need of help, we need assistance because we are in a pitiable condition, please help us, some husbands don’t know where their wives are, some wives cannot find their husbands, likewise children cannot find their parents, she said ’’.

The spokesperson of the Katsina State Police Command, SP Gambo Isa is yet to make inquiries on the attack.

No Shortcut To Success, WAEC Warns Candidates, Parents

0

The West African Examinations Council has condemned the activities of ‘rogue website operators’ who lure candidates and their parents by proposing shortcuts to examination success.

A statement signed by WAEC on Wednesday titled, ‘Re: Conduct of WASSCE for school candidates, 2022 – the unwholesome activities of rogue website operators and pitiable patronage by some candidates/parents,’ said ‘rogue website operators’ were hell-bent on sabotaging the noble efforts and concrete arrangements put in place by the council to ensure the successful conduct of the ongoing 2022 West African Senior School Certificate Examination.

The statement read in part, “The council is equally aware that these individuals perpetrate their dastardly acts through various social media platforms, such as blogs, Facebook, WhatsApp, and Telegram.

“These unpatriotic individuals see WASSCE and other examinations as a business venture and avenue to make money, thereby deceiving innocent and gullible candidates and their parents. They lure candidates and their parents by proposing shortcuts to examination success. They lie to them that WAEC questions can be accessed earlier than the due date. This is nothing but a lie from the pit of hell.

“Please, for the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of the general public, this is not true. The council works hard to put firm security measures in place to protect the integrity of its test items.

“Unfortunately, some candidates have fallen prey to the ‘trash’ being served on these rogue platforms. They no longer read their books because of the promise of access to WAEC questions. This is a very sad and dangerous development.”

The examination body assured the public that such individuals would not go unpunished as they would be brought to book and made to pay for all their crimes.

ADC Presidential Candidate Moghalu Said He Will Send Atiku And Tinubu To Retirement

0

Prof. Kingsley Moghalu, the presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress, has declared that it would be the end of the political careers of the flagbearers of the leading political parties, the All Progressives Congress, APC, and the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Atiku Abubakar respectively, come 2023.

Moghalu said he would send the two heavyweight politicians on permanent retirement by defeating them in next year’s election.

Moghalu said this in Abeokuta, Ogun State, on Wednesday, during the ADC’s presidential primary.

Moghalu said, “I am here to offer myself to you not because I am better than anybody here, but because I care about the future of our country.

“I offer myself because God has given me the main recognition to stand side-by-side with Atiku, Tinubu and to send them into retirement.”

While Atiku defeated the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike to emerge the PDP presidential flagbearer, Tinubu overcame challenges from former Rivers State Governor and minister of Transportation, Chibuike Amaechi and Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, to emerge winner of the APC presidential primary held at the Eagles Square, Abuja, on Wednesday.

6 Northerners killed In Ondo Three Days After Terrorist Attack On Church

0

Unknown gunmen on Wednesday killed six men of northern extraction in the Sabo area of Ondo town in Ondo State

Sabo, also known as strangers’ quarters in Hausa, is dominated by Northern Nigerians.

The victims were reportedly buried Wednesday according to Islamic rites while one of the victims was still receiving treatment in an undisclosed hospital in the state.

The killing followed a terrorist attack on St Francis Catholic Church in Owo, another town in Ondo State on Sunday. The attack is suspected to have been carried northern Fulani men.

According to the state government, 40 congregants were killed by the terrorists in the attack.

Regarding Wednesday’s attack, the Sarkin Hausawa of Ondo, Alhaji Abdulsalam Yusuf, told Daily Trust that the gunmen stormed the area on motorbikes around 12:30 am and opened fire on innocent roadside petty traders.

 ALSO READ: Ondo students shut down Akure, Ilesha highway over ASUU strike

“They came to our area (Sabo) on motorbikes and each was carrying three gunmen. All of a sudden, they started shooting people who were mostly Suya and tea vendors.

“A J5 bus driver who was on transit and had stopped to eat was the first victim. They killed a ‘guardman’ (security guard) and another shopkeeper who was trying to lock up his shop and run away from the assailants.

“They again gunned down two young men who were eating noodles at a mai shayi (a tea seller) stall. That makes five victims in Sabo alone.

 

“Again, they struck another area called Iba where they also shot dead another man,” Yusuf said.

 

Yusuf said the divisional police officer in the area had dispatched a police patrol team to the place to assess the situation and evacuate the corpses to the mortuary.

According to him, the attack might be a reprisal because they had been living peacefully in the area for more than 60 years until Sunday’s terrorist attack on worshippers disturbed the peace enjoyed by the community.

The Sarkin Hausawa of Shasha in Akure, Alhaji Ibrahim Abdullahi, said the Hausa community was not responsible for the attack on the Owo church.

“We have been living peacefully for long with the people of Ondo State; we don’t have any problem with them. We are doing our businesses together, so what will lead us to attack them or to attack their church?

 

“We want them to know that our people have no hand in the church attack,” he said

Kwankwaso Emerges NNPP Presidential Candidate

0

Former governor of Kano State Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, has emerged the presidential candidate of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP).

He clinched the party’s presidential ticket at the primary election, which held in Abuja on Wednesday.

The former defence minister who was the sole presidential aspirant of the party, emerged as the NNPP’s flag bearer after delegates had made their choice known through voice vote.

NNPP’s Special National Convention is holding on Wednesday at the Velodrome of the Moshood Abiola Stadium, Abuja.

Dr Boniface Aniebonam, NNPP’s pioneer National Chairman and founder, had disclosed at a news conference on Friday June 3, that the party’s Special National Convention was just to confirm Kwankwaso, as the presidential candidate of the NNPP.

“He (Kwankwaso) is to be returned unopposed. Kwankwaso is a man of God,” he had said.

Atiku Congratulates Tinubu For Clinching APC Presidential Ticket

0

Former Vice President of Nigeria and the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar has congratulated his newly emerged opponent in the forthcoming presidential election, Bola Tinubu.

Atiku hailed Tinubu, a former governor of Lagos State, for clinching the presidential ticket to represent the All Progressives Party in the forthcoming presidential election stating that it was a ‘hard-fought contest.”

Atiku’s congratulatory message shows a spirit of sportsmanship between the two presidential candidates as Tinubu also hailed the former VP when he emerged as the flagbearer of the PDP last month.

Part of Tinubu’s congratulatory message to Atiku signed by the Director, Media & Communication, Tinubu Campaign Organisation, Bayo Onanuga read, “I welcome the victory of Alhaji Atiku Abubakar as the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the just concluded primary.

“I look forward to squaring up with him as a worthy opponent in the coming election. I have known the former Vice President as a formidable politician and a patriot who believes in the unity and progress of our dear country.

 

“As we move further into the election season, I charge the PDP presidential candidate and all political actors across Party lines that we should make this election season one that is devoid of bitterness, rancour and strife.

 

“We should make our campaigns peaceful and issue-based. Election season should be a festival of ideas that will uplift our country and improve the living condition of all our people.”

Nigeria’s Greatness Begins Now — Tinubu

0

The newly All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, has said with his emergence as the ruling party flagbearer for the 2023 presidential election, the country’s “greatness begins now”.

The APC bigwig stated this on Wednesday while delivering his acceptance speech after winning the APC presidential primary at the Eagle Square, Abuja.

ALSO READ: Tinubu Denies Endorsing Muslim-Muslim Ticket

MAIDAWAAREWA reports that Tinubu scored 1,271 votes to defeat his closest contenders, Rotimi Amaechi and Yemi Osinbajo, the Vice President.

Amaechi obtained 316 votes while Osinbajo polled 235.

But speaking after his victory, Tinubu said he had waited for the right moment to actualise his dream and serve the country in his best capacity, saying that with his emergence, the nation will begin to live to its potential.