Home Blog Page 235

We Killed One Million People To Keep Nigeria United, Says Buhari

1

President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday said one million Nigerians died in the Biafra war in the fight to keep the nation as one entity.

Mr Buhari said the circumstances that led to such wanton loss of lives between 1967-1970 must not be allowed to repeat itself.

“We have gone through all the troubles from 15th of January 1966 to date. You know what I mean by this, we have killed a million of ourselves in order to keep this country together.”

He said this on Tuesday at the Presidential Villa when he hosted a forum of state chairmen of the defunct CPC, his erstwhile political party which merged with other parties to form the ruling APC.

“I don’t think there can be any practical experience more than that. We are Nigerians, God willing we remain Nigerians and Nigeria will remain one,’’ Mr Buhari assured.

Praising his visitors for their continued support for his administration, Mr Buhari urged political leaders to stay focused and uphold the ultimate objective of promoting the interest of the country.

He asserted that the CPC was founded on the bedrock of patriotism.

We’ve Killed Many Bandits’ Leaders – Defence Staff

0

The Chief of Defence Staff, Lucky Irabor, has said the military has killed many bandits’ leaders amid the recent Abuja-Kaduna train attack in the country.

Irabor stated this on Tuesday during a meeting with editors and media executives in Abuja.

MAIDAWAAREWA recalls that terrorists attacked and kidnapped Abuja-Kaduna-bound train passengers on March 28, 2022.

Speaking on the recent train attack, Irabor said although some victims had been released, the military and other security agencies remained committed to ensuring the safe rescue of the remaining victims in captivity.

He said the military had intensified both air and ground operations to deal with criminals in all parts of the country, adding that several successes had been recorded in recent times.

The CDS said that based on military air operations, the military, on Aug. 6, killed one Alhaji Abdulkareen, a bandits’ leader, along with his fighters in Nigeria’s North West.

“By the deeds of the surgical air operations that we have conducted, many of the bandits’ leaders have been killed,” Irabo added.

Irabor said the essence of the parley was to solicit understanding and support from the media in the fight against the security challenges bedeviling the nation.

He, however, called for greater cooperation between the military and the media to find solutions to the security challenges and disallow enemies from stoking fears in the minds of the public.

The army chief also urged Nigerians and political leaders to understand the distinction between military operations and politics, adding that the military remained undaunted in ensuring a safe and secure nation.

I’ll Still Perform Outside PDP, Leadership Not About Party — Wike

0

Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike on Tuesday boasted that his widely acknowledged outstanding stewardship in office reflects his personal capacity and passion to deliver enduring development to Rivers state people and nothing to do with the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) he belongs.

Wike during Tuesday’s commissioning of dualised Ogbunuabali – Eastern Bypass Road project in Port Harcourt, bragged, “Take me away today from PDP to another party, I will still perform. So, it is not because I’m in PDP that I’m performing.”

He said, “Leadership is not about party. Leadership is about individual. Party is only a vehicle to actualise your ambition, to be able to tell your people I have this capacity, I have this quality to render services to you.

“It is because I have that passion for my people, have the commitment to serve my people. Take me to YPP, allow me become whatever I will become there, I will perform. Take me to any party, I will perform. So, it is not party that makes you to perform.”

While comtemporaries use economic hardship as excuse for failing in rendering purposeful leadership and service to their people, Wike said he found same situation a more rewarding leverage for sustain delivery of projects to Rivers people.

Chiding perceived misguided Rivers politicians for twisting his assertion on Monday that the state was fully under his grips, Wike explained that, “Because some people went to school late, they don’t understand when somebody says I am in charge of this State.

“I never said I am in charge of votes in this State, but I know I can talk to my people and my people will listen to me. Some people say, I have only one vote, I agree. I can’t vote two times. I will only vote once. But because of the services I have rendered to the people of this State, the State will listen to me.”

The governor on the occasion lifted the ban on youths activities in Ogbunuabali and released N2 billion he promised the community, praising their cooperation while the road project lasted, after initially objecting to it.

Special guest on the occasion and former Governor of Sokoto State, Sen Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko who inaugurated the road project joined the growing list of top political leaders who continue to acknowledge the leadership capacity of Wike in service delivery to Rivers people.

Old Age Is A Blessing And Sickness Can Happen To Anybody – Yul Edochie Cautions Nigerians Mocking Tinubu

780

A Nigerian movie star, Yul Edochie has condemned the action of those mocking the All Progressives Congress, APC, presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu over his alleged ill-health.

In a recent tweet on his official Twitter handle, the Nollywood actor wondered why a section of Nigerians, particularly those opposing Tinubu’s presidential bid, would mock his (Tinubu) health and age.

According to Yul, old age is a blessing and sickness can happen to anybody, stressing that some of those making mockery of Tinubu may not be lucky to see old age.

He wrote, “Old age is a blessing. And sickness can happen to any one whether young or old. Making a mockery of Tinubu’s health or age is wrong.

“It’s ok if he’s not your candidate, but making jest of him cos of his age or health is absolutely wrong. You may not be lucky to see old age”.

I Will Never Defect To PDP, Not Even My Corpse – El-Rufai

0

Kaduna State governor Malam Nasir El-Rufai yesterday declared that he will never return to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) stressing that even his corpse would not be found in the party.

El-Rufai stated this while replying to one of the spokespersons of Atiku Abubakar presidential campaign, Daniel Bwala, who stated that the Kaduna governor would soon defect to PDP.

The Kaduna State governor came to national limelight when he served as director general of Bureau of Public Enterprise (BPE) and later as minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

Bwala, had earlier claimed on his twitter that governor El-Rufai will soon abandon the All Progressive Congress (APC) and join PDP before the 2023 general elections.

Atiku’s spokesperson has earlier said: “My attention was drawn to @elrufai laughing at a comment made about me on my past video. Hmm @elrufai is one of the finest we have from the north, I will never join issues with him, especially because I am optimistic he will be with us before the 2023 elections.” Bwala wrote.

But taking to his verified twitter handle, El-Rufai replied Bwala thus: “Thanks @BwalaDaniel but no, thanks. Never ever, not even my corpse will be found in the vicinities of your new-found political party. I still Dey laugh!!!-@elrufai.”

Kizz Daniel Arrested In Tanzania

0

A Nigerian celebrity and singer Oluwatobiloba Daniel Anidugbe, popularly known by his stage name Kizz Daniel, has been arrested in Tanzania for refusing to show up at his show.

Kizz was arrested by the Tanzanian Police who escorted him out of the hotel to their vehicle, some said the Buga crooner didn’t show up at his show because he didn’t like the clothes he was wearing.

His fans got angry over his absence after paying $5,000, scattered the venue of the show, while others throw objects on the stage.

Tinubu Is Nigeria’s Only Solution, Says Oluwo Of Iwo

14

The Oluwo of Iwo, Oba Abdulrosheed Adewale Akanbi, has described Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the All Presidential Congress (APC) as the solution to Nigeria’s challenges.

He also described Tinubu as a unifier whose conducts have been instrumental to the sustenance of one Nigeria.

In a statement signed by Alli Ibraheem, his Chief Press Secretary, Oba Akanbi noted that as a detribalised Nigerian, Tinubu turned Lagos State into a template for other States to copy from.

According to him, “Tinubu is a detribalized Nigerian. His milestones in turning Lagos State to a cynosure of all eyes is a credit to his image. Entrust Nigeria in his hand and go to sleep. You will see wonder when you wake up.”

While asking those that condemn the APC presidential candidate to assess his mental assets, Oluwo added that governance had nothing to do with age.

“Most of those castigating Tinubu have personal issues. Many are saying he is arrogant because he tells the truth.

“People may think he is arrogant because he tells the truth. Anybody who tells the truth is adjudged to be arrogant. People say I’m arrogant too. It is because I love and cherish the truth.

“Give him Nigeria to rule and go and sleep. He will do wonder before you wake up,” he said.

2023: Bishop Ibezim hosts NUJ Anambra, says ‘Christian-Muslim leadership is best for Nigeria’

0

The Archbishop Ecclesiastical Province of the Niger and Bishop of Awka Diocese, His Grace, Most Revd Alexander Chibuzo Ibezim, PhD, JP played host to members of the Nigeria Union of Journalists,(NUJ) Anambra state council led.by Comrade Odogwu Emeka Odogwu PhD, even as he predicted that Nigeria is likely to witness the emergence of Christian-Muslim presidency in the 2023 election.

Though, the Anglican Prelate failed to disclose which among the contesting presidential candidates in the country he feels may clinch the seat of the presidency, he said the winner will boast a Christian-Muslim combination.

The Archbishop made the prediction during a press conference with journalists in Awka, shortly after a courtesy call by the leadership of Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Anambra State Council led by Comrade Odogwu Emeka Odogwu PhD, Monday, as part of the preparations to mark his 60th years birthday anniversary which comes up on Friday August 5th, 2022 at Emmaus House Awka.

Speaking on the state of Anglican under his watch in Awka diocese, province of the Niger and the state of the nation, respectively, Archbishop Ibezim noted that the All Progressives Congress who chose the option of Muslim-Muslim ticket will be surprised at the outcome of the election, describing the move as insensitivity to the place of Christians in the country.

According to Archbishop Ibezim, “I am looking at Christian-Muslim leadership. That is, Christian should be on top while moslem comes under. That is what I’m looking at. But if one says it is Muslim-Muslim leadership the outcome will be a surprise because Christians cannot be categorized as nothing.

“We need to be holistic and truthful to ourselves, we must recognize that the church must not be played with.

“It is important that Christians should have a say in government because we are not second class citizens. By the time you start treating Christians as second class citizens, you have failed.

“So, it is in the interest of Nigeria that the church succeeds because anywhere that the church did not succeed, that place will go back to darkness.”

Archbishop Ibezim further blamed the reported endorsement of APC Vice-Presidential Candidates by alleged team of fake bishops on the proliferation of churches in the country, warning that it is a sign of satanic agenda to attack and disrupt the church.

“I can’t blame them because proliferation has entered into the church. Nowadays, many people dress up and call themselves bishops and through this, the enemy has been attacking the church.

“But my own advise is this, if you claim that you are a bishop, let it be that God sent you. But if you are using God to deceive the people, the church and the nation, then get ready to pay the price because nobody will deceive the church of God and go free.

“What is taking place now is a sign of end time and the bible says that in the period of end times, perilous things will start to happen.”

He urged the people to be careful and avoid being induced into actions that will make them change their identity and enter enmity with Jesus Christ.

The foremost Anglican Prelate also lamented the sufferings of Nigerians in the hands of the federal government insisting that the government of the nation has repeatedly failed to deliver the required good governance it promised the people.

“The government has failed the country and the people are suffering. Our children have stayed almost six months at home doing nothing.

“I say it clearly, the government has failed. The country has changed from bad to worst. What I see in this government is a complete failure and until we begin to address this failures constructively with truth then, things might get worst.”

He said those at the corridors of power must wake up and live to their responsibility as the leaders of the country if the country should be revived again.

This is coming as Archbishop Ibezim Calls For Professional Reportage From Journalists

The Archbishop, Province of the Niger, and Bishop Diocese of Awka Anglican Communion, Most Reverend Alexander Chibuzo Ibezim, has encouraged Journalists to be professional with their reportage.

Archbishop Ibezim gave the encouragement while receiving the executive members of the Nigerian Union of Journalists, Anambra State Council led by Comrade Odogwu Emeka Odogwu PhD, who paid him a courtesy visit in Awka.

The prelate, who urged journalists to be fair with their reportage, shun disaffection, but to serve as watchdogs of the society, described the work of the media as herculean, noting that journalists are frontliners, visiting dangerous places in order to feed the society with activities of the day.

He thanked the state NUJ chairman, Dr. Odogwu Emeka Odogwu, JP for his leadership style in the state, while saying that the diocese is open to motivational criticism from journalists and called on them to portray the church’s image on a good light.

Earlier, Dr. Odogwu said the visit was to appreciate the Archbishop for his remarkable achievements in the diocese of Awka and Province of the Niger.

He described the prelate as number one ecumenical church leader in Anambra and commended his efforts in moving Anglican communion forward.

Dr. Odogwu outlined some unprecedented development of the prelate, which includes scholarship awards, succor to the needy, job creations and infrastructure development , empowerment and establishment of schools among others in the diocese and urged him not to relent.

He reassured him of the partnership of the media in the state even as he called for more interactive session with the media on quarterly basis.

We Won’t Allow Violent Campaigns, Says Wike

0

Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has said the state has obtained intelligence reports that some misguided politicians have started recruiting cultists, ex-convicts and thugs in furtherance of their political aspirations for 2023.

The governor however said his administration would not allow violence once campaigns start ahead of the general election.

Wike, in a state broadcast on Sunday, emphasised that the state government is not taking intelligence reports at its disposal lightly, and will therefore not allow any politician, no matter his previous or present position, the chance or opportunity to upset the prevailing peace and security in the state.

This was contained in a statement issued by the governor’s media aide, Kelvin Ebiri, on Sunday night.

The statement quoted the governor as saying, “We will not allow any political party, be it the All Progressives Congress, the Peoples Democratic Party or the Social Democratic Party, to threaten the safety and security of lives and property during the campaigns with mayhem, thuggery or violence.

“Accordingly, we have already alerted and set the security agencies on the trail of these misguided politicians and leaders of political parties and stop them in their tracks with the full weight of the law.

“We also wish to warn owners of hotels and proprietors of relaxation centres to take notice and desist from releasing their facilities for politicians and party leaders to use to meet and plot against the peace, safety and security of our state.”

The governor warned that the state government will pull down hotels and other entertainment places that are linked with such criminal political activities.

“I wish to reiterate our unwavering commitment to safeguarding the sanctity of lives and property throughout the state and to reassure everyone that we shall continue to spare no effort to keep Rivers State safe and secure.

“We urge residents to be vigilant while going about their normal activities and promptly report any suspicious gatherings or movements in your vicinity to the attention of the security agencies for necessary action,” he said.

Wike commended the people of the state for the support they have been giving his administration since May 2015 till date.

I’ll Continue Speaking For Nigeria — Sanusi

0

Deposed Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, says he will continue to speak and air his views to defend and rebuild Nigeria.

Sanusi, who is also the current Khalifah, Tijaniyat Movement of Nigeria, said this in Abuja on Saturday at a stage play titled ‘Emir Sanusi: Truth in Time.’

The play was written by Prof. Ahmed Yerima, a professor of Drama at the Redeemer University and produced by Executive Chairman, Duke of Somolu Productions, Mr Joseph Edgar.

Sanusi said he would be ungrateful to God if he expressed regret or sadness over his removal as emir in spite of positions he occupied in life.

“I don’t think that God has taken anything away from me. So, I’ve no regret.

“I turned 61 years last year and in those years, I had the honour of having been the Chief Risk Officer at United Bank for Africa and the Chief Risk Officer at First Bank.

“I was Governor of Central Bank, Emir of Kano and now Khalifah, Tijaniyat Movement of Nigeria.

“If I’ve sadness, then I’m ungrateful. How many people have had the opportunity to be just one of those things?

“We’ll continue to devote energy to build this country. It doesn’t belong to anyone; it belongs to all of us,’’ Sanusi said.

He said if he had a choice between sacrificing his principles and holding on to position, he would give up the position.

The playwright, Yerima, said what motivated him to write the play was when Lamido was appointed as emir, he prayed: “O Allah, let me die on the throne.’’

He said he wanted people to watch how destiny prevailed on Sanusi’s grandfather, Emir Muhammadu Sanusi, who spent 10 years before he was removed and Sanusi, the grandson, who spent six years before he was also removed.